Fair Trade Policy
As a city hotel on a relatively small piece of ground compared to the game lodges, we are obviously more restricted in terms of what we are practically able to do from an environmental and local community point of view. As a result, we have focused much of our energy on ensuring that our staffing practices, water and energy policies and black empowerment credentials are cutting edge. We are therefore able to confirm the following:
Water is South Africa's most precious resource
• The garden has been deliberately landscaped with water wise plants that recognizes our Mediterranean climate - hot, dry summers and wet winters. We therefore make use of predominantly indigineous plants including local fynbos that require less water.
• We make use of grey water irrigation by watering the gardens from shower, bath and basin water;
• The pool backwash water is recycled and pumped back into the pool after it has been treated – this obviously means that we do not need to use municipal water for this;
• We ask our guests to assist us in conserving water by limiting the number of times their towels need to be replaced and their bed linen changed. Laundering of 2 sets of towels and a change in bed linen on a daily basis is obviously wasteful. Our guests get to decide.
• We have recently installed LED lighting for all of the exterior and garden lighting – LED lighting results in a massive electricity saving;
• Our geysers are fitted with timer switches and are switched off by the managers when the rooms are not being used;
• Only energy saving light bulbs are used at FR to reduce the amount of electricity that is consumed. Interestingly government via Eskom, the national electricity provider, are now using moral suasion tactics via a national advertising campaign to get users to switch to this type of bulb which is obviously a lot more expensive to purchase
• We have tried to make use of gas wherever possible, instead of electricity. Unfortunately there is no municipal gas supply and so we are forced to make us of gas bottles which are used to supply some of the fireplaces at FR and for cooking.
• Our remuneration levels are above the industry average as we believe that our staff are better trained and are above average;
• All staff are required to complete a very detailed training programme that we have developed in-house; this programme enables them to perform their jobs optimally at Four Rosmead and obviously would place them in a strong position should they decide to leave Four Rosmead and apply for a job elsewhere.
• Staff members are encouraged to study. Four Rosmead facilitates this study by granting interest free study loans;
• Most of our housekeeping staff have been with us for longer than 5 years which is probably the strongest endorsement of the working environment.
Regarding our empowerment credentials, we are able to confirm that we have exceeded government’s black economic empowerment criteria.
Should you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us.